- We created the nation’s first tree farm in 1941.
- Our leadership in research and development enables us to produce trees that grow faster, straighter, and stronger.
- Our investment in technology allows us to grow trees on the forestland we own at two to three times the rate of comparable unmanaged forests.
- We harvest only 1–3% of the forests we manage every year.
- 100% of our forests in the U.S. and Canada are independently certified to sustainable forestry standards.
Sustainable Forestry Policy
All Weyerhaeuser products manufactured in the U.S. and Canada, use trees grown here in North America. Almost 60% of those trees come from certified forests. All Weyerhaeuser timberlands in North America are third-party certified to the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) forest management standard and all of our manufacturing facilities are third-party certified to the SFI Certified Sourcing Standard. This standard ensures that all of our wood fiber comes from legal and responsible sources. It also requires use of forestry best management practices and qualified logging professionals.
Standards and Certifications
Weyerhaeuser supports third-party certification of our forestry practices. We chose to use the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® standard for our U.S. and Canadian operations because it is accepted in the marketplace and satisfies our own and our customers’ procurement policies, reflects the legal institutions and requirements in North America, and offers the best fit with our management strategies to derive economic, environmental and social benefits from the forests we manage.
Environmental Management Systems For Our Timberlands
An environmental management system (EMS) defines how to effectively manage a facility’s environmental aspects—by setting clear objectives, documenting best practices, and establishing processes that promote continuous improvement and provide a record of performance against goals. To track performance and ensure we meet our goals, Weyerhaeuser implements and maintains environmental management systems that align with the requirements of the ISO 14001 Environmental Management System. Conformity to ISO 14001 is determined through Weyerhaeuser Internal EMS audits or actual third party certification to the ISO Standard.