Flak Jacket® Fire Protection
A single-product solution, Flak Jacket protection provides a simple, cost-effective way to comply with Section R501.3 (2012) and Section R302.13 (2015) of the International Residential Code and to achieve one-hour floor/ceiling assemblies in multifamily applications. Flak Jacket is the only solution that saves labor—no added steps like mineral wool or gypsum, and no need to alter design practices.
As with all Trus Joist engineered lumber products, TJI Joists with Flak Jacket protection deliver Weyerhaeuser quality and reliability backed by our service and support.
to purchase Flak Jacket in your market.
At a Glance – Flak Jacket® Benefits:
- Provides compliant fire protection in single- and multi-family applications using existing designs and procedures, and no additional labor.
- Meets the requirements of Section R501.3 (2012) and Section R302.13 (2015) of the International Residential Code without the addition of gypsum or other extra steps.
- Can achieve one-hour floor/ceiling assemblies in multifamily applications without the need for an extra layer of gypsum or mineral wool.
- No special tools, training or handling required; uses standard hangers for quick and smooth installation.
- Available in multiple series and depths.
- All the quality and cost-efficiency you expect from Trus Joist engineered lumber products.
- Includes the security of the TJI limited lifetime product warranty
Flak Jacket® in Action
TJI joists with Flak Jacket protection can be used as part of TJ-Pro Rating, a proprietary system that takes the guesswork out of achieving an ideal balance between performance and cost. It automatically calculates every performance factor—including TJI joist depth, span, and spacing, and the type and thickness of the subfloor—to determine the materials you need and help maintain your budget and meet your customers’ expectations.
Every new homeowner wants a floor that feels solid underfoot. The TJ-Pro Rating System gives you the best method for delivering predictable floor performance.
Design & Specification
Fire-Rated Assemblies and Sprinkler Systems
N. America: 1500
Technical Resource Sheet
Sound Performance of Trus Joist TJI Joist Fire-Rated Floor Assemblies
N. America: TJ-4035
Floor Performance and TJ-Pro Ratings
N. America: SVC-4005
Flak Jacket® FAQ
N. America: FJ-FAQ
Trus Joist No Red Tag Guarantee
N. America: TJ-1013
Download our Literature App